FinnShark
Home Forums Gallery Links Events Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Register
Go Back   FinnShark > English Section > Visitors' Lounge
User Name
Password

Visitors' Lounge Post your questions about the Finnish Corvette hobby here.

Old 16.02.2009, 19:27
Tulokas

mnpoika on oikealla tiellä
Thank you for that explanation, ippe73. I sure wouldn't want to be thought of as "momma's boy" - and I'm way too old for that, besides.

Sometimes I've used minnepoika for Minne-sota and Minne-apolis, but I prefer the simpler mnpoika. On eBay I applied for the handle "poika" but it was already taken. Apparently there are others here who are equally proud of their Finnish heritage.
Old 21.02.2009, 02:15
Konkari

V-P on oikealla tiellä
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnpoika
Thank you for that explanation, ippe73. I sure wouldn't want to be thought of as "momma's boy" - and I'm way too old for that, besides.

Sometimes I've used minnepoika for Minne-sota and Minne-apolis, but I prefer the simpler mnpoika. On eBay I applied for the handle "poika" but it was already taken. Apparently there are others here who are equally proud of their Finnish heritage.
How is your winter?
Do you have snow enough? What about the temperature day/night gap?
We have a real winter after many warm winters.And now it has gone many weeks temperature bellow freezing point and lots of snow.
Old 21.02.2009, 02:52
Konkari

Cocco on oikealla tiellä
Just for info motivated by V-P's question...

Here in middle of Finland last few years, like this year also, has been very poor of snow. Take for example having snow mobile fun. Otherwise we had good freezing weather at beginning of this week, -20 C degrees and there is only something like 20 to 30 cm of snow around. Lakes are well frozen and some iceroads are opened. No polarbears met "This is quite a local joke" about how we finns and our conditions are thought in southern europe
Old 26.02.2009, 05:49
Tulokas

Minnesota resembles Finland in some ways, Cocco. Though you are farther north, we don't have the warm ocean currents, like Finland does, to keep us from getting too cold. As a result, we may have more extremes of climate - hotter summers and winters a bit colder than in Finland. Lately our winter weather has been going back and forth between warm and cold. Friday we got about 14cm of snow and today the ground is nearly bare again as it was sunny and above freezing. Tomorrow a storm is coming which is expected to leave 15-20cm of new snow. This time of year it probably won't stay around very long. One difference here in MN is that we don't have the winter darkness, other than on cloudy days. On the other hand, we don't have a midnight sun to enjoy in the summer.
Old 27.04.2009, 11:56
Vakiokävijä

Jorma Halonen on oikealla tiellä
Hi mnpoika!How are You?I spent 2 months in South-East Asia ie Thailand,Kambodia and Malaysia.I have never ever had
so much fun in my life.In Pnomh Penh,Kambodia I met an american retired fire officer from Minneapolis.He´s been living in Kambodia for the last 14 years and riding his enduro motorbike all over Kambodia.So we had our breakfast meet on March 19 at my hotel,enjoyed good food and nice conversation.John told me that he knows a good motorbike rental company in PP.Off we went and one hour later I had a Honda 4-stroke endurobike under my ass.Traffic in PP is very hectic but I just followed John`s trail and felt safe.But in the country side situation became a bit stange for me.Big signs telling:Caution,landmines!John told me that Khmer Rouge put millions of landmines back in the 70`s and only a minor part of mines have been removed.He told me if I wanna take a leak,don`t take a step in the bushes but pee in the middle of the road/path.We hit a very muddy road in eastern Kambodia and made only 20 miles in 24 hours.We had to overnight in a local village.They have never before met falangs (foreigners) and it took only 30 minutes that the whole population of the village (50 persons) were in our front yard watching us.I have a beard and it was something totally new to the locals.They all came to me and touched my face.John speaks Kmehr and he told them that I come from the cold Scandinavia where all men have beard to fight the breezing conditions.They said it sounds logical.Next question was:do you grow rice in Finland?I had to admit to their disappointmet that we do have rice in grocery shops,but the brand is Uncle Ben`s produced somewhere out of Europe.
It would be nice to meet You face to face and have some chat,but I am going to work very long days for the following 8 months.
With my best regards:Jompe
Old 22.04.2011, 06:49
Tulokas

Greetings again from Minnesota. Well it has been a long time since I visited your site because of technical difficulties where my computer could not gain access. My apologies for not responding to your comments, Jompe. Your visit to Cambodia sounds like a real wild time, though I, myself, have never been to Asia. My favorite destination is Europe and it happens I'll be in Finland during the first week in June. First I'll be traveling with a group from here on a World War II history tour, which ends in Moscow. There I'll leave the group and fly to Tampere to visit relatives. Perhaps if the FinnSharks parade through Tampere during that time I can arrange to stand on the curb and wave to you.

Incidentally, last summer I attended a 50th anniversary party for Corvettes of Minnesota. It's the club I joined when I had my first few Corvettes. Once the largest club around here, it's now probably the smallest. But it was a fun party and great to see old members from as far away as California.

P.S. I've been enjoying some email correspondence with your V-P.

Best regards to your club,

-Roger- (mnpoika)