FinnShark
Home Forums Gallery Links Events Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Register
Go Back   FinnShark > English Section > Visitors' Lounge
User Name
Password

Visitors' Lounge Post your questions about the Finnish Corvette hobby here.

Old 05.05.2015, 04:48
Vakiokävijä

Jack Panzica on oikealla tiellä
Run out in Posi Unit - Setting Lash

Gary Ramadei is putting the final touches on the rear end he is building for me. He discovered excess run out in the posi unit. Here are his comments and process to reduce run out to his specs.

Hi Jack,
So as I mentioned yesterday there was a wide range of lash in the setup. I wanted to see if it was in the gears or the posi case. I removed the ring gear from the posi and checked the bare posi in the housing. I checked a few places; the posi flange where the RG mounts, the case OD where the RG ID is press fit, and the flange OD. I found the case OD was good with only 001" or less runout in it but the flange had 006" runout and the flange OD had 008". The flange OD doesn't matter but the case OD & face do. I set the posi up in the lathe using a small 4 jaw chuck to dial in case OD as my reference. I dialed the case OD to less then 001" and rechecked the flange run out in the lathe and it was out 006". I faced the flange 005 in small passes and turned the flange OD. In the lathe they were both 0 but I knew it would open up in the housing because it will be referenced off the case bearings.

"I found the caps were loose on the bearing races and set them up to 001" gap. Then I installed the bare case and found the flange runout 002 which is good. The case OD is still 001 and the Flange OD is under 001". I was able to keep the case bearings installed without issue. The lash is now within 002-003 compared to 006 before. I couldn't do a pattern test because I have to let the Loctite setup on the RG bolts again. Next up I will check the pattern to see how it looks. I did radius the edges of the teeth on the RG, this is an old blueprinting trick.

I will see how the pattern looks on Monday."

This video is an example of what he did to my unit. Just click on it

1963 Chevrolet Biscayne Positraction Differential Overhaul - Part 3.1 - Repaired - YouTube

Pictures

On milling machine

Caps

Check out my website
Old 05.05.2015, 06:33
Konkari

ZL1 on oikealla tiellä
Gary is the Guru! 😎
Stingray & Sea Ray
Old 25.05.2015, 22:10
Vakiokävijä

Rear End and Transmission Installation

Well I celebrated Memorial Day Weekend with a little car work. I now have all the parts ready for installation .

The first thing I have to ask is , Why did I think I could do this ?

Next I had to get the transmission back in . Replaced the throw-out bearing, rear bearing and seal. Never easy...I finally resorted to the push the tail over the cross member, roll the tranny on to my chest, and do a push up with it . It went up and in. No problems but a lot of back and blue marks on my arms and body.

Drive shaft hooked up with new slip yoke

Using a jack, I lifted up the rear with cross member and bolted it to frame

Next the haft shafts...using jacks to lift the TA up to level to install HS

Next up the strut rods and spring later in the week, waiting for parts

Check out my website
Old 03.06.2015, 02:56
Vakiokävijä

My rear end is back in the seat again......

My rear End is in the seat once again......The first ride of 2015.
After 6 months of restoration , the car held together for a 20 minute ride to start the break in of the newly rebuilt rear end, transmission and suspension..
I did the removal and installation with the car on jack stands.
I do not recommend this method , but like many of us, I had no choice..,,,,,,,.

I have to go now....time for another 20 minute ride....

If you click on the link you will see the video of my first ride, looks better on computer then Iphone , speakers for sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUH1...s3Ow& index=1
Check out my website
Old 03.06.2015, 08:21
Vakiokävijä

Drumbrakes on oikealla tiellä
looking good Jack ! I especially dig that precision tool you are holding
Old 11.07.2015, 03:05
Vakiokävijä

Big Blocks in the Dakotas

QUOTE=66BlkBB;1590018414]Jack,

Hi, I thought you would like to look at a few big blocks that a few friends in the Dakotas have. Dan, Maroon, Pete , Yellow, and Steve , Black big blocks. I had lunch with them as I crossed the Dakotas on my 48 State Tour.

Steve asking me a question on my linkage post.

"Are you planning any more US excursions? Dan, Pete and I still own the BB's. Dan just got his repainted and setup with a new rear spring, steering box, etc. I haven't seen it yet but will try to look at it when I am in Moorhead again. Take care."

Steve[/quote]

Hi Steve,

I prefer the GM rods, I was not sure if I could use them, or if in fact they are the ones that have worn out.

I am planing to go to Carlisle this year. I have never been to it , more info later as I am finishing up the rear end and suspension on the car.

Thanks again for the great lunch....

Some pictures of my visit on the 48 State Tour

Back on the road

Check out my website
Old 16.07.2015, 13:01
Vakiokävijä

The Car is Packed and Corvettes at Carlisle Await !

[b]The Car is Packed and Carlisle awaits ! I am planning to attend Corvettes at Carlisle this August 27-30, 2015. I plan to be on the road for about 14 days. ( August 14th to Sept 1) [/B .

Even though I have owned my car for 45 years, I have never been to Carlisle. I hope to have a mini reunion with many of my hosts from the 48 State Tour. Let me know if you are going !

]If you have owned your corvette for 30 or more years, I would like to stop by and add you to my research on long time Corvette Owners.

The map shows the general route (not roads yet) I am taking, PM me with your town and I will put it on the map. Once the map has enough dots on it.

I will plan the actual route. More information to come as I add details and dates of travel. I used this method to travel to all 48 states, and Europe to document these cars and owners. I will be posting to 9 US and European Corvette Forums as well as Facebook. Here are is a link to my web page with details . of my trips to Europe and NCRS National Convention.

www.corvettevagabond.com

Map link- Just click on it. PM with your town and I will put your town on the map . The route shown is just a general direction. Actual roads traveled later. ( I will not post your address , just town)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?h...kBQFfkdm4LN 8

Check out my website
Old 08.08.2015, 17:22
Vakiokävijä

Plans for Carlisle

Here are some plans for my trip. I plan to leave ME on the 20th, Stop in Mass to see 58-67 cars from 30 year owners.

21st, Stop at Ed Johnson shop ,Bridgewater, MA work on car and stay over with Ed.

22nd, Sat. Head west toward Ohio, Stops in western NY ? Please let me know if you have a car you want me to see

23rd, Sun , stay with Midyear, Ohio,

24th somewhere in Ohio / PA, Let me know if you want me to see your car,

25.PA...Near Pittsburgh area....Let me know if you want me to see car.

26 Pitt with Son,

27th head to Carlisle. 28-29, First Time attending

30-31 Pitts with son,

Sept 1-4 DC-MD, NJ, NY, MA and Home

I will start to fill in stops as I get calls to stop. If you have owned your car for more then 30 years...I would like to add you to my photo collection...for that book that we all have been waiting for.

I hope to see many of the hosts who had put me up on previous trips. I will be posting some pictures of my last trip over the next few days.

My cell on the road will be 207-838-5695 or post online to forums or jackpanzica@gmail.com

Some members from the 48 state trip

Check out my website
Old 17.08.2015, 01:10
Vakiokävijä

Hello to all, *Just in case some of you are in the US here is my travel plans.......lol....I hope to post great pictures of my trip and photos of good looking girls....oh...I mean cars......so here is an opening post.

Enjoy Jack

Hi , travel update.

I will be in Lexington MA around 10 am on *Thursday, August 20, 2015. *It will be my first stop on my way to Carlisle via Ohio.

I am stopping to see *58 and 67 Corvettes that that have been in the family for more than 40 years. If you have a C-1 or C-2 and would like to say hello and have me add it to my Corvette Vagabond documentary on long time owners.

If you live in the Boston area and want to joint the fun for an hour or so PM me for details.

From Lexington, at 12 or 1 pm , I head to Bridgewater , MA , Ed Johnson's shop get my car on a lift for last minute fixes and inspection for the trip. *If you live south of Boston , PM me for details if you want to say hello at Ed's place.

Jack

On my last trip I was treated to this little jewel owned by a host in Louisiana. *I hope to see your special car ....PM me to see if you live on route.

This baby lives on Cape Cod , MA

Check out my website
Old 20.08.2015, 00:31
Vakiokävijä

I will leaving ME tomorrow Thursday, 20th, heading for Lexington MA, and Bridgewater MA.
Work on car in MA and leave Friday ,21st for Columbus , Ohio.....
Leave Ohio for Parts unknown on Monday 8/24 Tuesday 8/24
Leave parts unknown for Pittsburgh , stay with son, 8/26
Leave Pittsburgh on 27th early am for Carlisle.
Leave Carlisle for Pittsburgh Sat afternoon to go back to Pittsburgh till Monday am, 31st...
Leave Pittsburgh...head to MD for party at 5 pm......lots of driving.... Monday , 31st...
Visit friends in MD on Sept 1-2 , head to ME via NJ/CT/NH/MA I think Sept 3-5.....

I don't know yet where I am staying as I cross PA on the way to Ohio
and I may be lost in southwestern Ohio / PA for 8/24-25..
or on the 21st as I dash across NY, PA, on the way to Ohio, so if you want me to photo your car and say hello....let me know

I hope we meet at Carlisle....I will phone will my location (Fun Field) once I get there...207-838-5695 cell

Jack

Ohio and PA just like I imagined.....

Check out my website