FinnShark
Home Forums Gallery Links Events Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Register
Go Back   FinnShark > English Section > Visitors' Lounge
User Name
Password

Visitors' Lounge Post your questions about the Finnish Corvette hobby here.

Old 07.04.2013, 22:42
Tilapäinen hevosmies?

tuplakoo on oikealla tiellä
Clockwise.
Old 08.04.2013, 22:36
Teräsmies

hateju tulee olemaan kuuluisa ennen pitkää
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuplakoo
Clockwise.
Second that.. is there any model different..
2012 Triple Black Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Rocky Mountain. (ex)
1995 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4x4 6.5L Detroit Diesel
1989 Black Mercedes Benz G-Wagon W460 250GDT. (Ex)
2006 Black Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L HEMI (ex)
2006 Black Chevrolet Silverado 6.6 Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 (ex)
Old 10.04.2013, 16:42
Vakiokävijä

Jack Panzica on oikealla tiellä
Smile you are on candid camera !

I have been honored with a article in AMCAR Magazine, leading lobbying and American Car owners organization in Scandinavia. Thanks to the many Norwegians who made my visit unforgettable, well somethings I may want to forget....not many...

http://www.amcar.no/

Jack
Check out my website
Old 11.04.2013, 20:31
Vakiokävijä

Trial Fit of Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Panzica
Many of you have followed my travels in the US and Europe over the last 3 years. Last spring I had to replace the windshield that was hit by a stone near Park City UT.

It was the 3rd windshield since car was new. I replaced original in 1976, could not see through (150,000 miles) on car, it lasted until 2012, about 150,000 miles.

In my rush to get the car ready for the European trip, we put the windshield in and followed right away with the trim. In hindsight, not a good idea. Lots of sealer and glue and junk, you are in a hurry and the job did not come out looking good. No leaks , but I was ruff with taking it off, put some bends in it, did not get the front piece centered, etc.

Well I got inspired by 65Rush (Jim) replacement and polish job on his trim.

I called over a friend and in less then an hour we had it off. The biggest mistake I made , and maybe others that have problems putting trim on , is too much sealer when installing windshield. Over concern with sealing everything. (too much around clips) etc.

Taking off trim is not hard, just have to do it in the right order. Take out every screw first that hold trim, latches, mirror etc. Trim screws, do not have to take off trim in front of pad.

Take off inside piece first (mirror) part, next top piece after gently pulling side pieces away from cage. (4 5/16 speed nuts 2 reg nuts hold trim) You must take of side pillar rubber first and mounting plate for trim.

You can then side out side pieces from front trim, next release the front trim with tool

I will post tomorrow a few pictures of the tool in action. Most have problems because they do not understand how the tool works to release trim.

Installation , have to wait until trim is done but....before putting trim on. I will talk about a order of installation later.

It is important to make sure the clips are free of sealer so they can grab the trim around the front windshield. Also , I found the grove of the front trim to be clogged with gunk, gunk in the grove, keep the clip from locking in place.

I am debating doing the polish myself, but don't feel good about it.

I hope this helps some of the new members who may be thinking of doing this job

Jack

Pictures

Trim off ready for repair and polish

Birdcage too much sealer

Before defects

I got home and unwrapped the polished trim. I will do a post on Back Bay Customs, a great mod-hot rod shop, that helped me out with polishing.

I wanted to trial fit the trim. The front piece must be placed so that equal distance of ends are under side trim , for trim to fit in corners.

I put on the top piece first, followed by the outer side trim only, with only one screw to hold it to birdcage loosely.

I put one end of front trim into side piece to get right distance under trim. I clipped down 1/4 of front so I could mark trim and having marked windshield , I had a mid point to always line up front piece for later final fit.

I had no trouble with clips catching as I cleaned out the space between rubber and front fiberglass, as stated in earlier post.

There still is a slight problem in the corners , as the rubber does seem to bow out a bit, pushing the trim away from the body, the clips catch but there is a gap. I am not going to fix the rubber. no leaks in windshield. I will fill it with a flexible sealer.

I hope this helps others in trim work. Total time to put trail fit about 1 hour. Should take about the same for final fit. It helps to have two people , one on each side to slide side pieces into place with front at same time. Or, if you start on one side as I did, get two or three clips to catch, then go middle an lock down center two clips , go back and finish one side and work your way to other side, stop about two clips from end, side in side piece with front, push together and down, screw in side piece , all should be clipped.

Again, there must be enough space between rubber and fiberglass to push trim edge in far enough to catch clip. With new clips, get one to catch , look at it , and see how it catches. You must get it in same position alone the front for clips to grab trim. I have original clips , so it was lack of space , that would hinder clipping, not clips.

Now I have to take it all off, side pieces first, slide them out from front trim, get first clip to release and off you go.

I will post pictures of removal as I have to finish cleaning up excess sealer from the windshield install last year.

Check out my website
Old 23.04.2013, 15:34
Vakiokävijä

Trim and Hood finished

I am continuing with engine bay clean up and maintenance. The hood has been repaired and painted. My heater motor, still works but has a loose bearing, and rattles when turned on. I had thought it was the fan hitting the enclosure, but after taking motor out and bench testing it, the motor itself rattles. I can move the shaft in and out about 1/8" or more.

I have ordered a new motor as I don't believe you can take the motor apart. Only $29 from Zip Products for a new one. I will use the old fan as it is still in good shape.

Even though I completed a restoration of the engine bay only 3 years ago, 50,000 miles will produce a little dirt and grime.

On the trim, the photos show how I put on the front piece. It is very important to make sure the there is room under the rubber, to slip in trim. Soap and cleaning out all the sealer from windshield install will help.

I should have the car back together in a few days.

Motor Fan Overflow

Trim need to find midpoint

Job done

Hood

Check out my website
Old 23.04.2013, 16:30
Konkari

Kurkis on oikealla tiellä
Looking good.
Old 23.04.2013, 22:35
Vakiokävijä

A magical moment !

You walk around grumpy, nothing seems right, people will ask, whats wrong ?

But we know what is wrong, and we have done something to fix it.

But you have to wait, just a bit if you use the right vendor.

And then it happens..you come down the driveway, afraid to look up....and then you do ....

And then the magical moment ! You float out of the car and walk up to the door and there it is....

In my case, Zip Products, new heater motor and other little goodies
Check out my website
Old 03.05.2013, 20:39
Vakiokävijä

Rebuild the Holley 4160 or leave it alone ?

As I prepare the car for a long season of driving both in the US and Europe the engine has been my focus.

The car has 50,0000 miles on engine since rebuild in 2010

New carb Holley 4160 put on in 2010 Correct L-79 66 Roadster

All new wires, timing springs, oil, (1,200-1,500 mp Qt.) plugs

Car began to get 9-10 mpg in winter after I got it back from Europe (Dec)

Was getting 14-15 hi 12 mpg town

Put in all new stuff as listed and now car runs great.

5,000 gallons of gas has gone through it.

I have worked on the carb before and am familiar with setting floats
etc.

Should I , do nothing as the car is running fine

Should I rebuild carb with all new parts from Holley with successful outcome

Should I rebuild carb with horrible results , poor performance and lots of self recriminations

Should I send the carb to midyearvett and save a fortune in gas because I will not be driving my car while he has my carb

Should I ask Dahogan to ask Frank , because I have not told him about my plan

I do need to get Lars paper on modifications to the Holley heat shield that I want to install to prevent accelerator pump boil over.

What would you do ?

Jack

ps does the gasket go directly on intake then insulator, or insulator the gasket - carb

Check out my website
Old 05.05.2013, 05:10
Vakiokävijä

I don't remember a thing

I remember going out to the garage, gas fumes I woke up with gas and oil on my hands. What could have happen in 30 minutes ?

I took the car for a ride and was hungry

I got back in my car and drove toward home.

I remember posting to Frank.....it gets hazzy ...

There was a ride to Portland, I remember saying hello to some friends

and then I looked in the garage

Frank, I found it , wet and oily , put it in a box , you should get it in a few days

Check out my website
Old 06.05.2013, 03:26
Vakiokävijä

1960 Caddie tail lights ?

Hello out there in TV land

Check out the tail lights on a pair of shoes my wife saw in NYC .

Check out my website