FinnShark
Home Forums Gallery Links Events Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Register
Go Back   FinnShark > English Section > Visitors' Lounge
User Name
Password

Visitors' Lounge Post your questions about the Finnish Corvette hobby here.

Old 28.02.2007, 17:30
Tulokas

John on oikealla tiellä
"Pekka" Florida License Plate

I'm looking for an old friend I knew in New York/New Jersey. His name is Pekka K. His last name was hard for me to pronounce and remember. It began with a K and it was started with Kon or Kor and had four syllables.
He moved back to Helsinki in the mid to late 80's with a new wife and a current model Red Corvette with Florida license plate that said "PEKKA" I'm not sure if he kept the car.
I would like to find and contact my old friend. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

John V.
Palm Beach, FL
Old 28.02.2007, 19:31
Konkari

Corvette63 tulee olemaan kuuluisa ennen pitkääCorvette63 tulee olemaan kuuluisa ennen pitkää
Hi John, and welcome to the board!

I know only three Pekkas who own a Corvette and have lived in the USA:

Pekka Berkeles from California, VettePekka, and Pekka Leino. Pekka Leino has lived in Florida, at least, to the best of my knowledge None of these three people is not necessarily the person that you're looking for.. I wish I could've helped you more.

Good luck with your search!
Old 28.02.2007, 20:37
Nysvääjä

Finnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond repute
Hello John! I hope you can find your old friend! I do not know him, but I try to hel as much as I can. I remember an old story in an old finnish car magazine where a guy imported a new red C4 Corvette from USA when he moved back to Finland. I do not know if this is your guy though. I do not have old V8-Magazines at hand right now, but maybe somebody else can check the story for you! I think it was in late '84 or early '85.

About the surname, if it started with Kon- or Kor, it could be for example: Konttinen, Korpela, Kortelainen, just to name few. Do you remember any more about the last name? Did it end with -nen? That "suffix" is really common in finnish surnames.

Good luck to your search! I'm sure that someone from our old guys will remember your friend. These cars were really rare here at that time.

Ex 1999 FRC Z51, 6sp
Ex 2006 Coupe Z51, 6sp

Old 28.02.2007, 20:45
Konkari

Corvette63 tulee olemaan kuuluisa ennen pitkääCorvette63 tulee olemaan kuuluisa ennen pitkää
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnshark
I do not have old V8-Magazines at hand right now, but maybe somebody else can check the story for you! I think it was in late '84 or early '85..

I can check if I find that magazine on next weekend!

Last edited by Corvette63 : 28.02.2007 at 20:54.
Old 01.03.2007, 08:48
Laihian metalli since1950

Pappatunturi tulee olemaan kuuluisa ennen pitkääPappatunturi tulee olemaan kuuluisa ennen pitkää
Hello John!!

What a great mission to find your old friend.Do you have any pictures ? Any other friends who might remember more about this Pekka ? Do you have any how old he was during the stay in FL ?

Ill make some calls and get back to this.

Old 08.03.2007, 18:36
Tulokas

John on oikealla tiellä
Thanks for the help!

Pappatunturi:
No pics, but he was an avid tennis player, attended university in New York City. He worked for Nokia at that time(maybe still) and when I last saw him in St. Pete Florida around 86' he was in his early thirties.

corvette63:
Any luck with those old magazines?

Finnshark:
I checked my old phone books but could not find an entry. Some of the names like Kortelainen sound possible but I don't think I ever used his last name while we knew each other.

Thanks again all!
By the way, are all you guys in Finnland or just Finnish?

Regards,
John
Old 08.03.2007, 20:12
Konkari

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Pappatunturi:
No pics, but he was an avid tennis player, attended university in New York City. He worked for Nokia at that time(maybe still) and when I last saw him in St. Pete Florida around 86' he was in his early thirties.

corvette63:
Any luck with those old magazines?

Finnshark:
I checked my old phone books but could not find an entry. Some of the names like Kortelainen sound possible but I don't think I ever used his last name while we knew each other.

Thanks again all!

Regards,
John

John, I didn't remember check the old articles of V8-Magazine, but I promise that I will check those later, I try find them on next weekend if possible.

Nokia won't give their list of employees. But if here anybody works for Nokia, so maybe he/she can ask, if anybody knows something about Pekka Kortelainen.

John, I sent PM for you

Last edited by Corvette63 : 08.03.2007 at 20:29.
Old 08.03.2007, 21:21

Pappatunturi tulee olemaan kuuluisa ennen pitkääPappatunturi tulee olemaan kuuluisa ennen pitkää
So far no luck with my investigations.I called one "old school" friend of mine who did modify almost all personally imported cars to meet finnish regulations during early 90s . However he promised to keep me informed if he gets any info about this. I think we really need to find him -this is a great story of corvette friendship !!

Old 08.03.2007, 21:35
Nysvääjä

Finnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond reputeFinnshark has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Thanks again all!

Almost every one of us lives in Finland. But we do have couple of originally finnish guys living in USA too in this forum! Maybe they will chime in when they notice this thread!

Pappatunturi: I agree with you, this mystery needs to be solved!

By the way, where Nokia had offices at that time? At least in Tampere and Otaniemi(?), anywhere else?

Ex 1999 FRC Z51, 6sp
Ex 2006 Coupe Z51, 6sp

Old 08.03.2007, 21:38

Corvette 63 ; Contact Ismo.I believe he still works for Nokia.

John ; Hold on there -we wont sleep until this is done